Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? I’ve made these chocolate chip cookies even better by using sprouted flour and unrefined sugar.
1) This is a classic recipe. This recipe is adapted from Richard Sax’s recipe for the Original Toll House Cookie in his magnificent cookbook, Classic Home Desserts. If you don’t own this book, go ahead and put it on your Amazon wish list. Every kitchen must have a copy. Winner of the James Beard award, it’s one of those cookbooks in which every single recipe comes out great.
2) These cookies are actually good for you. I replaced the refined white flour with sprouted whole wheat flour, replaced the chocolate chips with organic non-GMO chocolate chips, and replaced the refined white and natural sweeteners: sucanat and palm sugar. And of course I’m using butter from grass-fed cows and pastured eggs instead of butter and eggs from confinement animals. Lastly, I’ve used sea salt instead of plain table salt.
These chocolate chip cookies are not only delectable, they are nutritious and healthy (with the notable exception of the chocolate which is not good for you — it would be better to use carob; I’m going to work on a recipe). Sprouted whole wheat flour, non-GMO chocolate chips, sea salt, grass-fed butter and pastured eggs, and natural mineral-rich sweeteners make truly healthy chocolate chip cookies. Hence, they earn the title, Best Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Makes about 30 cookies.
Trust me, you are going to want to double or even triple this recipe. You can freeze the dough, already formed into balls, so you’ll have fresh cookies right out of the oven whenever you want a treat. (I do not recommend baking the cookies and then freezing. Isn’t the best thing about chocolate chip cookies the warm gooey chocolate chips?) You could also use the dough to add to your homemade ice cream for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
Sprouted Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Unsalted grass-fed butter, butter from grass-fed cows, softened (1/2 cup)
Sucanat or coconut sugar (3/4 cup) — where to buy sweeteners
1 large pastured egg, or free-range if you can’t find pastured
Organic vanilla extract (1/2 tsp)
Sprouted whole wheat flour (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) — where to buy sprouted flour
Baking soda (1/2 tsp)
Sea salt (1/2 tsp) — where to buy sea salt
Organic non-GMO chocolate chips, available at the health food store (6 ounces)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix together. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until just blended.
4. Drop half-teaspoonfuls of the dough onto baking sheets (I line my baking sheets with Silpat silicone baking mats). Bake 10-12 minutes.
5. Transfer cookies to wire rack. Store in airtight container.