I made this coconut milk tapioca pudding a couple months ago for a dinner party. I needed to bring something to a friend’s house — they are gluten-free and dairy-free. This dessert was a hit.
Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava root (Manihot esculenta). Cassava, native to Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Honduras, is the third-largest source of food carbohydrates in the tropics. To make tapioca, cassava is dried to a starchy, powdery extract.
If you’re looking for something that is sweet, comforting, very nourishing, and contains no dairy or gluten, give this coconut milk tapioca pudding a try.
Sorry, it’s not GAPS-legal.
Coconut Milk Tapioca Pudding
Lemon, organic if possible (1)
Instant tapioca, organic if possible (1/4 cup)
Coconut milk (3 cups) — where to buy coconut milk
Sea salt (1 pinch) — where to buy sea salt
Egg yolk, free range, organic (1)
Coconut sugar or sucanat (1/4 to 1/3 cup) — where to buy coconut sugar; where to buy sucanat
EquipmentZester or grater
1. Zest the lemon. Set aside.
2. Add the tapioca, coconut milk and salt to a medium to large saucepan. Mix together and simmer on medium to low for 12-15 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and sugar. Temper small amounts of the tapioca into the egg yolk/sugar mixture until you have added about a cup. (Tempering prevents the egg yolk from overcooking.)
4. Stir the egg yolk/sugar/tapioca mixture into the remaining tapioca in the saucepan.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Add the lemon zest and stir to combine.
7. Transfer the pudding to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
8. Allow to cool at room temperature and then transfer to the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
COMMENT POLICY: I want everyone to feel comfortable and safe commenting on this blog. Here are the ground rules: No hate speech (including sexist, racist, etc. remarks); no trolling (repetitive and/or inflammatory comments); no foul or obscene language; no personal attacks. Anonymous commenters may comment, but your comments may be deleted if they are suspect. Comments that violate these terms will be deleted. Commenters who violate these terms will be banned from commenting at my discretion. Be respectful and play nice, everybody!