This is beef jerky I made in my dehydrator. I actually made it from bison from Lindner’s Bison at the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market.
It’s so easy to make — and it makes an extremely healthy and nutritious portable snack.
This is a very basic, all-purpose recipe. If you like your jerky sweeter or hotter, try adding various ingredients like maple syrup or honey or hot sauce or ground chili pepper powder.
Easy Homemade Beef Jerky
Dehydrator or an oven
1 gallon size Ziploc bag (you can also use a large glass baking dish)
Grass-fed beef or bison, not ground beef (1-2 pounds) — I think I used top round because that was all they had that day — but I think you could use rump roast or other cuts as well. Ask your farmer or butcher what he or she recommends for making jerky.
Worcestershire sauce (1/3 cup) — I got some organic sauce from Whole Foods; avoid the regular kind as it is probably genetically modified and it has high fructose corn syrup
Naturally fermented soy sauce (1/3 cup) — I use Eden brand
Freshly ground black pepper (1 tsp)
Onion powder (2 tsp) — I used an organic brand from Whole Foods
1. Slice the meat very thinly, with the grain (so it doesn’t fall apart).
2. Put the pieces of meat into a gallon-sized Ziploc freezer bag.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, close the bag, and mix well by moving the meat around with your hands.
4. Let the meat marinate for at least 8 hours. I forgot about mine and it marinated for over 24 hours — still came out great.
5. Pat the meat dry with paper towels.
6. Line your dehydrator trays with parchment paper. If you are using an oven, put some foil on the bottom of the oven to catch drips.
7. Set your dehydrator to 150 degrees for 8 hours. If you are using the oven, set it to the lowest setting (this is often 170 degrees) and crack the door open a bit.Join me at the Take Back Your Health Conference April 18-20, 2015 in Los Angeles. Dr. Cate Shanahan, Mark McAfee and many more speakers. I hope to see you there! Click here to save 15-20% with the early bird discount through March 31st. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.