I’m excited to announce that I’m going to be teaching an online cooking class starting Wednesday August 18, 2010. It’s called Surf & Turf: Cooking Wild Seafood and Grass-fed Meats. And I’m giving away two spots in the class!
Did You Know…
- Omega-3 fatty acids in seafood and grass-fed meats can prevent depression and Alzheimer’s disease?
- Pregnant and nursing mothers eating seafood and grass-fed meats can increase their children’s IQ and prevent ADD?
- According to Julia Ross, author of The Mood Cure, we need to eat 20-30 grams of protein three times a day — just to maintain our current brain chemistry?
How Much Fish are You Eating?
The Harvard School of Public Health says we should be eating fish at least twice a week – and this applies especially to pregnant and nursing mothers and small children. Unfortunately, nearly half of Americans eat seafood only occasionally — or not at all.
Can’t I Just Take Fish Oil Capsules?
Nope. According to Chris Kresser at The Healthy Skeptic blog, “It appears that the presence of other fats in the fish activates processes required to absorb the EPA and DHA properly. This explains why the EPA and DHA are better absorbed from eating whole fish than from taking fish oil.” Chris continues:
In one study comparing the effects of fish and fish oil, researchers found that levels of DHA after 6 weeks of salmon consumption were nine times higher than after fish oil administration.
How About Organ Meats?
Most people won’t touch organ meats (unless they live in France, where pâté is served at most restaurants, or Mexico where they eat tripe for breakfast). And yet, organ meats like liver, bone marrow and heart contain anywhere from 10-100 times the nutrients of muscle meats like steak and chicken breasts.
Organ meats also contain vitamin K2, the nutrient Dr. Weston Price called “activator X” that helps prevent (and even reverse) cavities and crooked teeth. There’s also a lot of research to suggest that adequate levels of vitamin K2 can help prevent osteoporosis, heart disease, seizures, and kidney stones.
Organ meats are also a heck of a lot cheaper than muscle meats — and that matters when you’re trying to feed a family on a budget.
So Why Aren’t We Eating More Meat & Seafood?
Many of us don’t know where to buy seafood, and have no clue how to prepare it. (Ask me about the first time I tried to shuck oysters!) And we may perceive seafood to be too expensive.
When it comes to meat, most of us fall back on the same meals over and over again — ground beef and chicken breasts. It gets boring — but we don’t know how to cook the other cuts of meat. We may have tried a brisket in the past but it came out like shoe leather.
And organ meats? Forget about it! How do you get your family to eat liver when just saying the word makes them squirm?
What Surf & Turf Will Teach You
Cooking nutritionally dense, exceptionally healthy foods is not hard — once you know what you’re doing. Which is why I’m teaching this class. I will show you how to:
- Get your family to fall in love with weird foods that are incredibly good for them — like chicken livers and raw fish
- Use all the turn cheap cuts into melt-in-your-mouth delicacies — from delicious pot roasts to braised short ribs
- Master the BBQ grill
- Easily make mineral-rich bone broths, soups, gravies and reduction sauces
- Make delicious, balanced meals that are grain-free and low-carb
- Save money on grass-fed meat by buying half a cow and stocking the freezer
- Shop for sustainable, healthy seafood — no matter where you live
GAPS Legal, Low-Carb and Paleo Friendly
Are you paleo, primal or low carb? Following a grain-free diet like GAPS or SCD? If so, this class is perfect for you. This class is grain-free, sugar-free (occasional honey) and
I remember went on a grain-free, starch-free, sugar-free diet to heal my gut. It took a lot of work to learn how to go from eating pasta and prepared foods to cooking grain-free, starch-free, from scratch.
And it’s not easy to keep things interesting over time! You can only eat so many hamburgers and chicken breasts. I hope this class will help those of you out there who are following a special diet to have more variety.
Enter to Win Surf & Turf Online Cooking Class — $120 Value
To kick this thing off, I want to offer you a chance to win a spot in the class. I’m going to give away not just one but TWO spots.
Please note: I will be sharing a discount coupon code on Thursday when I announce the winner, so be sure to check back Friday!
Here’s how to enter: Just click on the link below to visit the Surf & Turf section of my site, then post in the comments below letting me know what you most want to learn from this class.
Surf & Turf: Cooking Wild Seafood and Grass-fed Meats.
That’s good for one entry.
How to Get More Entries
1. Blog about this giveaway and link back to this page on your blog. Comment below with the link. (1 extra entry)
2. Sign up for my email updates or RSS feed. Leave a comment below telling me that you signed up. You will also get an entry if you already subscribe — make sure to leave a comment! (1 extra entry)
3. Follow me on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway. Be sure to include the URL to this page in your tweet. Leave a comment telling me that you followed & tweeted. (1 extra entry)
4. Email 5 friends about the giveaway, with a link to the page. Leave a comment below telling me that you did. (1 extra entry)
5. Stumble this post and leave me a comment telling me that you did. (1 extra entry)
6. If you have a blog, add the new Real Food Media widget and leave me a comment telling me that you did. (FIVE extra entries!)
There are a total of 11 possible entries.
This contest will end Wednesday August 4th at 11:59 PM PST. The winner will be chosen via random.org. The winner will be announced on Thursday August 5th on my blog. The 2 winners will have 48 hours to contact me with his or her full name, address, and phone number. No purchase necessary to win.
This contest is open to readers anywhere in the world.
Good luck, everybody!
Questions? Comment below.Join me at the Take Back Your Health Conference April 18-20, 2015 in Los Angeles. Dr. Cate Shanahan, Mark McAfee and many more speakers. I hope to see you there! Click here to save 15-20% with the early bird discount through March 31st. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.