I love mashed potatoes, especially when they are extra creamy — loaded with extra butter and cream. And smothered with homemade gravy.
This Thanksgiving, you may want to try my very decadent and much more nutritious version of mashed potatoes. And it’s not just for Thanksgiving. This recipe is fast and easy enough to make any old weeknight.
Why Use Extra Butter and Cream?
Although potatoes are a good carbohydrate, they aren’t inherently nutritious. Butter and cream to the rescue!
As I always tell my daughter, “Eat your butter, because that’s where the vitamins are.” Vitamins A, D, and K2, that is. Of course, we’re talking about real grass-fed butter. The cows need to be eating grass to produce K2, and they need to be outside in the sunshine to produce vitamin D.
This recipe is vegetarian.
I modified this recipe from the one in The Balthazar Cookbook, one of my favorite cookbooks. Every recipe in this cookbook comes out great.
I recommend using organic potatoes if you can. Did you know that potatoes that are not organic don’t even sprout?
Extra Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes, russet or Idaho, organic if possible (6)
Filtered water — where to buy water purification system
Sea salt (2 TBS) — where to buy sea salt
Heavy cream, or sour cream or creme fraiche, organic, ideally from grass-fed cows (2 cups or 16 oz) — where to buy dairy products
Butter, grass-fed (3/4 pound or 12 oz) — where to buy grass fed butter
Freshly ground black pepper to taste where to buy black pepper
Potato Masher or ricer
1. Peel the potatoes and cut up into 2-inch pieces.
2. Put the potatoes in a stock pot or Dutch oven. Cover with filtered water by 2 inches. Add 1 TBS of the sea salt.
3. Cover, bring to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes.
4. Drain in a colander.
5. While still warm, press the potatoes through a ricer or mash with a potato masher.
6. Fold in the butter, cream, and 1 TBS sea salt with a spoon. If desired, season to taste with black pepper.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.