Don’t you love stuffing? It’s one of my favorite things at Thanksgiving dinner.
If you’re on the GAPS Diet, you may think you have to skip the stuffing. But you don’t! This stuffing is delicious and it is totally GAPS legal.
GAPS Thanksgiving Stuffing
Coconut flour bread or almond flour bread (1 loaf) — where to buy coconut flour
Butter, ghee or coconut oil (6 TBSP) — where to buy coconut oil
Onion, white or yellow (1)
Celery (2 stalks)
Parsley, ideally fresh, but you can use dried (3 tablespoons)
Thyme, ideally fresh, but you can use dried (3 tablespoons)
Sage, ideally fresh, but you can use dried (3 tablespoons)
Chicken or beef stock, homemade (2 cups) — where to buy meat
Ground pork or beef sausage, from pastured animals (1 pound) — where to buy meat
Optional: Dried or fresh fruit, such as apples, cranberries or raisins, and/or soaked nuts, such as pecans or walnuts (4 cups) — where to buy organic dried fruit
1. Let the coconut or almond bread sit out overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Cut the bread into cubes. Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the bread cubes to a large bowl.
5. Chop the onion, celery, and herbs.
6. In a large saute pan, melt the butter or coconut oil and add the chopped onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.
7. In the same saute pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.
8. Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle.
10. Serve warm, smothered in gravy (see my recipe for GAPS Gravy).
COMMENT POLICY: I want everyone to feel comfortable and safe commenting on this blog. Here are the ground rules: No hate speech (including sexist, racist, etc. remarks); no trolling (repetitive and/or inflammatory comments); no foul or obscene language; no personal attacks. Anonymous commenters may comment, but your comments may be deleted if they are suspect. Comments that violate these terms will be deleted. Commenters who violate these terms will be banned from commenting at my discretion. Be respectful and play nice, everybody!