This is the second post on how to make corn tortillas from scratch.
After you’ve cooked and soaked your corn in lime water, you’re ready to make your masa (or dough). Please read Homemade Corn Tortillas – Part One: How to Soak Corn for Masa to learn how to properly soak the corn prior to making masa.
How to Make Masa
Soaked corn (nixtamal) – from Homemade Corn Tortillas – Part One: How to Soak Corn for Masa
1. Rinse the soaked corn thoroughly in a colander.
2. Add the corn to the bowl of your food processor, 1 cup at a time.
3. Pulse a few times, then let it run.
4. Add anywhere from 1-4 tablespoons of water per cup of corn. You just have to feel it out. Keep adding water 1 tablespoon at a time and blending until the dough is very soft and is no longer crumbly.
5. Keep pulsing and scraping down until the dough is done. You will know when it’s done when the dough is very smooth and it forms a ball on one side of your food processor.
6. Be very conservative about adding water. If you add too much water, the dough will be overly sticky. That’s OK though. Just add more corn and make it a little dryer, then mix it with the wetter one. It will all balance out.
7. Form the dough into a few large balls and wrap in plastic and store in the fridge until you are ready to make your tortillas.
Read how to make the tortillas in Homemade Corn Tortillas – Part Three: How to Make Tortillas.
Other posts in this series:PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
COMMENT POLICY: I want everyone to feel comfortable and safe commenting on this blog. Here are the ground rules: No hate speech (including sexist, racist, etc. remarks); no trolling (repetitive and/or inflammatory comments); no foul or obscene language; no personal attacks. Anonymous commenters may comment, but your comments may be deleted if they are suspect. Comments that violate these terms will be deleted. Commenters who violate these terms will be banned from commenting at my discretion. Be respectful and play nice, everybody!