Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise

by Ann Marie Michaels on June 1, 2009

Print Friendly

mayo

My family loves mayonnaise. We use it in all kinds of things: tuna salad, egg salad, potato salad, and deviled eggs. However, I never buy mayo in the store. I always make homemade mayonnaise.

Why go to the trouble of homemade mayonnaise? Storebought mayonnaise is full of industrial oils you do not want to put in your mouth. Like soybean and canola oil. Soybean oil is damaging to your thyroid. It slows your metabolism and can lead to hypothyroidism and breast cancer. And what about canola oil?

Also, both canola and soybean oils are made from genetically modified crops. Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) have documented health risks. GMOs are also a menace to our environment and threaten our global food supply. I go out of my way to actively avoid GMOs. (Join me and take the No GMO Challenge! I started doing it for 30 days, but I’m going to continue doing it until we get the GMOs out of our food supply.)

The ingredients in this homemade lacto-fermented mayonnaise recipe are real olive oil, egg yolks, a little mustard, sea salt, and that’s it. Plus a little fresh whey — which is what makes it lacto-fermented. Not only does it have the benefit of making this mayo probiotic (like yogurt, it helps repopulate your gut with good bacteria), but it also gives it a longer shelf life. You can keep it in the fridge for several months. Without the whey, it will only keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

It is important to use pastured eggs for this recipe. You’ll be eating the egg yolks raw, which is very healthy and safe when using pastured eggs. Factory farm eggs, and even “free-range” or “cage-free” eggs are rife with pathogens like salmonella. They are also much less nutritious. Click here to read about the difference between pastured eggs and free-range eggs.

Lastly, use REAL olive oil. The New Yorker magazine published an article in 2007 about how most olive oils are adulterated with cheap, rancid oils. How to tell if it’s real? Know your grower. If you’re buying olive oil in great big jugs at Costco, it’s most likely adulterated.

Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise

Makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups

Equipment:

Blender or food processor (optional: you can use a whisk)

Ingredients:

Pastured egg yolks ,room temperature (3)
Olive oil (1 1/2 – 2 cups) — – where to buy olive oil
Lemon juice or wine vinegar (3-5 tsp)
Sea salt (1/2 tsp) — where to buy sea salt
Mustard (1/4 tsp)
Whey, from kefir or yogurt instructions on how to make whey (2-3 tablespoon)

Directions

1. Mix the egg yolks for 1-2 minutes. If using cold (not room temperature), mix a few minutes more. This is the key to mayonnaise that will set. If you use cold egg yolks, the mayo will not set unless they are warmed up in the blender (or whisked long enough in a warmed bowl).

2. Add the lemon juice (or vinegar), sea salt, and mustard. Mix for 30 seconds more.

3. With the blender running, add the olive oil drop by drop. When I say drop by drop, I mean drop by drop. Or at least a very thin, slow stream. This is the other very important element for making a mayo that will emulsify. If you go too fast, you’ll end up with runny mayonnaise.

4. Once you’ve added about 1/2 a cup of olive oil, the sauce should have thickened into a heavy cream, and now you can add the oil in a thicker stream. Not too fast, though (especially if you are a beginner). If the mayo becomes too thick, add a few more drops of lemon juice or vinegar.

5. Blend in the whey. Spoon into a mason jar, cover with a lid, and leave it on the counter or in a cupboard (at room temperature) for several hours. Then transfer to the fridge.

Pin this Mayonnaise Recipe!

Click her to pin this mayonnaise recipe.

Homemade Lacto-fermented mayonnaise

Give this Mayonnaise a +1 on Google+!

Watch Lindsey of Homemade Mommy Make Fermented Mayo

My friend, Lindsey Gremont shows you how easy it is to make this mayonnaise:

Photo credit: jules:stonesoup via Flickr

Disclosure: cmp.ly/4 and cmp.ly/5

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.

{ 150 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris K June 1, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I weekly make homemade mayo, but I use sunflower oil because my kids won’t eat it made with any of the olive oil brands that I have tried. I just ordered some olive oil from the place that you recommended. Looking forward to trying it, thanks for sharing the resource. :-)

Catherine June 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I have tried making my own mayonnaise with EVOO and it did not taste very good. I buy some organic mayo from the health food store that is made with organic soy and/or organic canola. I pay over $12 for this organic mayonnaise and it really irks me at how expensive it is considering the cheap oils they use. So far I have made my own sugar free (stevia) ketchup and my own lacto-fermented mustard. Both are good enough to replace the store bought versions.

I now have to master the mayo recipe.

I bought some avocado oil for making mayo but noticed that on the bottle it did not say “cold pressed”. I do like the taste of this oil and now I gotta find a better brand.

Thank you for posting this recipe.

Kelly the Kitchen Kop June 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Ann Marie, so how long does it actually take to drop the half cup of oil in drop by drop? I may try half expeller pressed sesame oil and half olive oil so that it doesn’t taste too olive oil-ish. Was that your picture? I notice it’s white like my beloved Helmanns (yes, I know, it has the soy junk in it), and when I made mine last week it looked and tasted more like mustard than mayo. I’m going to leave Helmanns for good as soon as I can get this down!

Kel

Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s last blog post..Swine Flu Shot Could Be Ready By October (But Would You Get It?)

Maureen June 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM

What about using part coconut oil? And a touch of flax for the omega 6:3 ratio? My family didn’t like Enig/Fallon’s mayo from Eat Fat, Lose Fat. I was going to try a more bland one (oil, eggs) to see if they will eat it.

Julie June 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM

I need to try this. I’ve been meaning to make my own mayo for a long time now but I really love the Hain Safflower mayo and I seriously need to figure out how to duplicate the taste (since I really don’t need to be buying or eating that stuff). I don’t know why but it is so yummy!

Julie’s last blog post..Making Yogurt with Low Fat Milk

Melanie Christner June 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Was it prepared mustard that was used or mustard powder?
Melanie

Genevieve June 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Thanks for the post AM! My husband just told me yesterday how much he loves mayo but he was eating the bad stuff. Now, I can make him a healthy alternative!

BTW, canola oil is scary. First of all, anything made from a rape seed just can’t be good and even insects know not to touch! Wish more of the public new this stuff.

Paula June 1, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I have tried this several times, but using EVOO makes it taste sot STRONG. Neither of us can stand it. I have used Extra light, and it tastes better though….

Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS June 1, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I’m so excited about this recipe! Thank you! My son is allergic to eggs, but less so to egg yolks, so I am going to test him with your recipe. Can I use whey from cheese making (such as chevre) or does it have to be the whey from yogurt? Could I use Kombucha for the lacto-fermentation, instead of whey?

~Wardeh

Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS’s last blog post..Why Kefir?

Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS June 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I see now that I can get whey from kefir… so disregard that question. But I would like to know if Kombucha is a substitute. I thought I read that somewhere!

Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS’s last blog post..Why Kefir?

Andy June 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Chris K above mentioned he used Sunflower oil. How does this vegetable oil rate compared to the others? Is it also a poor choice or an evil we can live with? I tried the mayo recipe from Nourishing Traditions last week and the olive oil smell/taste was way too strong for me. I imagine the above recipe is close enough to that one that the result shouldn’t be too different.
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Here is what Mary Enig says about sunflower oil:

Safflower, Corn, Sunflower, Soybean and Cottonseed Oils all contain over 50% omega-6 and, except for soybean oil, only minimal amounts of omega-3. Safflower oil contains almost 80% omega-6. Researchers are just beginning to discover the dangers of excess omega-6 oils in the diet, whether rancid or not. Use of these oils should be strictly limited. They should never be consumed after they have been heated, as in cooking, frying or baking. High oleic safflower and sunflower oils, produced from hybrid plants, have a composition similar to olive oil, namely, high amounts of oleic acid and only small amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids and, thus, are more stable than traditional varieties. However, it is difficult to find truly cold-pressed versions of these oils.

And here is what she says about olive oil:

Olive Oil contains 75% oleic acid, the stable monounsaturated fat, along with 13% saturated fat, 10% omega-6 linoleic acid and 2% omega-3 linolenic acid. The high percentage of oleic acid makes olive oil ideal for salads and for cooking at moderate temperatures. Extra virgin olive oil is also rich in antioxidants. It should be cloudy, indicating that it has not been filtered, and have a golden yellow color, indicating that it is made from fully ripened olives. Olive oil has withstood the test of time; it is the safest vegetable oil you can use, but don’t overdo. The longer chain fatty acids found in olive oil are more likely to contribute to the buildup of body fat than the short- and medium-chain fatty acids found in butter, coconut oil or palm kernel oil.

The Skinny on Fats

Note that she said it should be made from fully ripened olives. Chaffin Family Orchards picks their olives at the very end of the harvest. This is why their olive oil is so mild.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM

@Kelly

It won’t taste too olive-oil-ish. Try it. If you like, you can add a tiny bit of maple syrup or stevia or some kind of natural sweetener.

As far as how long it takes… maybe 5 minutes. Remember you only need to do 1/2 a cup that way.

Was that your picture?

I’m shocked that you are using Hellman’s. I thought you were avoiding GMOs!

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM

@Maureen

Yes I love the idea of making mayo with added coconut oil and flax oil. I’m going to do that recipe next. I just wanted to have a very basic one for people who may not have those oils on hand.

Mary P. June 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I love this homemade mayo – I use cold-expressed sunflower oil sometimes for the whole thing or half evoo and sunflower oil for a lighter taste. I also have to say that Chaffin’s olive oil is fantastic!! It is not strong or sharp but very mellow and nutty. I ordered some on your recommendation and it is one of the best tasting olive oils I’ve ever tried. Thanks so much.

I have had good luck using my hand-held stick blender to make this mayo….. I am a slow oil drizzler rather than a dropper :)) and have never had a problem with it ‘breaking’, but I think the key to making a good emulsion is to have all the ingredients at the same temp as you mentioned in your recipe.

I love the pic too – very unctuous :)))

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM

@Melanie -

I modified Julia Child’s recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking (and Sally Fallon’s from Nourishing Traditions.

Julia’s original recipe called for dry mustard. I didn’t have any on hand (and tend not to) so I used regular organic mustard from Trader Joe’s. Worked fine.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:46 AM

@Paula – It’s the olive oil you are using. I have tried other olive oils but they are too strong for mayo. The Chaffin Family Orchards olive oil works great.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM

@Mary – Sunflower and safflower oils are really not recommended. See the comment above with the quotes from Mary Enig.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 9:51 AM

@Wardeh

Yes you can use kombucha — I don’t see why not. Just let a little of it ferment until it’s like vinegar.

You could also use apple cider vinegar. Any vinegar will work.

Nancy June 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM

This recipe is great! Thanks! Adding whey to make it last longer is a wonderful tip. I use the Cusinart and use the pusher with the tiny hole to add the oil. I failed with the blender…not enough patience! But the Cusinart works every time.

Loree June 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Hi — I didn’t catch the name of the olive oil you recommend — you also gave a coupon code for ordering it, but I can’t find what name you mentioned specifically. Would you mind sharing it again? Thanks!!!

Gina June 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Two words: bacon mayo. ‘Nuff said. Though maybe not for all recipes…

Also, I highly recommend using expeller-pressed coconut oil in mayo — no coconut flavor! I’ve heard macadamia nut oil is also really tasty.

I tried using the “WAPF10″ code at the Chaffin site, and it didn’t work.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Hi, Loree –

Scroll up and click the link above in the post. The coupon code is in the post as well. It’s just above where the recipe begins.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM

@ Andy

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Please see my comment just below your comment (above) with the quotes from Mary Enig. She does not recommend using sunflower or safflower oil. Most of us are very deficient in omega-3s and have WAY too many omega-6s in our diet.

This is not only due to all the soybean and vegetable oil we consume, it’s also because we’re eating factory farm eggs, meats and dairy. Eggs from factory farms have about 20 times more omega-3s. So we’re way out of balance.

The key to this recipe is using a very MILD olive oil. This is why I recommend Chaffin Family Orchards. I have not found another oil that is as mild as this one.

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Gina – I think maybe I got the code wrong – oops!

Try WAP10

If it doesn’t work, email or call them – they will give you the discount.

I’ll call too…

DOH! I just looked it up.

The coupon code is WAPF9

Going to fix the post now… sigh… This is what I get for trying to get a post up quickly.

Blogging ain’t easy!

Leesie June 1, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Thank you so much for the recipe, I just printed it and will be trying it out soon.

I’ve tried ordering from Chaffin and for some reason when I get to the very end and click on order I get an error message that the company doesn’t accept my type of credit card (Mastercard). I’ve alerted them to it and it still doesn’t work. Anyone else have this problem? I guess I’ll have to make the phone call to order instead.

Victoria June 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM

You have inspired me! With summer coming, it’s time to eat more tuna & egg salad. I’m going to make some today and use coconut oil & olive oil.
Thanks for your inspiring posts!

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Leesie – They have had problems with their shopping cart in the past. It’s a small family farm. I will forward your message to them so they are sure to get it.

Kelly the Kitchen Kop June 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Rest easy, I don’t have any Hellmans in the house, but that’s not to say I don’t WISH I did! Stupid soy and GMOs anyway…

Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s last blog post..Monday Morning Mix-Up 6/1/09 – June already?!

sewpretty13 July 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM

LOL Kelly!!!! I wish eating healthy was a little easier and we didn’t have to be so vigilant about all ingredients.

Ann June 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Your recipe sounds really good. I’ve been using Bruce Fife’s recipe in Coconut lover cookbook. It uses both evoo and coconut oil. My husband loves it too. Homemade mayo is the best.

Brandy Afterthoughts June 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Quick question: can I make whey from pasteurized? We use the cream-top yogurt from Trader Joe’s on occasion, but I wasn’t sure about the pasteurization…

Brandy Afterthoughts’s last blog post..Norms and Nobility: Prologue and Chapter One Discussion

Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen June 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM

We do a ton of mayonnaise too – I love it. It’s so marvelously fresh when made from real egg yolk and olive oil, plus it’s so easy to modify it according to your needs or to your tastebuds’ whims: wasabi, chipotle, bacon, dill – YUM. Possibilities are endless. I’ve never used whey in mine, though – just cider vinegar, egg yolk, salt, mustard and olive oil,

Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen’s last blog post..Working with Sourdough: Tips and Tricks

Kasi July 5, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Oh good – my husband is severely allergic to milk protein, so I needed to know about the whey issue. I tried making some – too mustardy to me, but I think the recipe I used called for more mustard. Time to try again!

cheeseslave June 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM

@Brandy – yes it’s fine to use pasteurized yogurt to make whey.

@Kelly – Whew! I’m so relieved you don’t have any of that in your house. I didn’t think you would…

@Jenny – Yum those flavors sound divine! Does your mayo last in the fridge since it’s not fermented?

Tamara June 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

HA! i beat you this time [but it seems we are still on the same wavelength ;) ], i made homemade mayo last week for the first time and i had to do it a few times before i got it right. My blender sucks, so i had to go at it with a bowl and a whisk. One thing i didn’t do right at first was bringing my yolks to room temp and then one try i put too much oil in (well actually, it was bacon fat, it was really good, but i was using it for deviled eggs and the bacon taste became a bit much, so i think i’ll stick with using the bacon fat mayo for sandwiches only) and my mayo became runny, so i just compensated with one more yolk.

This week, im going to make some more mayo but THIS time with some duck fat that i ordered! Im so excited! Now, all i have to do is make some whey (for the first time also) so that it lasts more than a week.

VIVA LA HOMEMADE MAYO! lol

NancyO June 1, 2009 at 7:33 PM

As a good Southern girl, Hellman’s was the only mayo I’d ever consider. I did start making my own a couple of years back ago though because of the soy oil in Hellman’s. I have settled on a recipe using half EVOO and sunflower oil (even Sally suggests expeller pressed sunflower oil in NT). One tip that has made it taste closer to my beloved Hellman’s is to use half lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar for the acid. It seems like a small thing, but it does make a difference, as well as regular mustard (organic). I can almost eat it off the spoon. In fact, my niece’s boys ask for “dip” when they have raw veggies! I used some today for egg salad…pretty good eating!

I use a stick blender now…I used my food processor for a long time, but found the stick blender actually makes a stiffer mayo. Go figure….

raisinette35 June 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM

I love your idea to use whey to make the mayo, Ann! Promptly modifying my recipe to include it.

Henriette June 2, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Well all the olive oils I can get here is far too strong
-so I dillute it with macadamia nut oil ( when I am rich ;) )
– and somtimes I use a little organic grape seed oil 1/3 part
I know GSO s NOT good – but since it is the only source of polysaturated oils in my diet I think it is ok fo a change.
But the olive oil/ macadamia nut mixture is goos and healthy.

I tried added coconut oil and it was OK- but works better with asian flavours.

Henriette’s last blog post..Asparges

Betsy June 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM

I’m glad to hear that someone else had the problem with Chaffin’s online ordering. I just sent them a message through their “Contact Us” link. Should have read here first!

@Kelly – I was a Hellmann’s fan for years and years, too. Love that stuff! Too bad it doesn’t love us back. :)

I really need to try that bacon mayo. I just cooked up a pound of bacon and topped off my supply of bacon fat. Maybe I’ll do that this weekend. Can you imagine it in egg salad?

Jessie June 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM

HI Anne Marie,

I was wondering what brands you use for olive oil that is not extra-virgin. I want to use a good quality brand such as Chaffin for evoo type things – but when evoo is not needed, I’d prefer to use a quality – but less expensive option. Thanks!

Mary P. June 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Hi there,

Yes, thank you so much for the reminder about sunflower oil AnnMarie. It’s good to know about the EFA ratio’s and concerns regarding various vegetable oils. For most everything I do use olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats or butter/ghee, and yet on occasion for some things I will sometimes go ahead and use a good quality, organic, cold-expressed sunflower (or sesame, nut and flax) oil. It just depends, and I never expose them to heat either. I agree that it’s important to be aware of the benefits and detriments involved in our oil/fat choices that’s for sure, so thanks again for keeping us all on track!

I have never tried using coconut oil in mayo, but as someone else suggested (and I read in another blog somewhere) I have made it using bacon fat and it’s pretty fabuloso :))))

Local Nourishment June 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I don’t like the flavor of olive oil. I didn’t have much success with bacon mayo. I used to make my mayo with all coconut oil, but the family prefers it a little thinner. I’m using about half coconut and half macadamia nut oil now. It’s bee-awesome.

Local Nourishment’s last blog post..What part of “NO GMO” is unclear to you, Monsanto?

Kate June 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thank you so much for this recipe and the information on canola and soy oils in most store brands of mayo. I had no idea. You inspired me to make my own mayo for the first time with your recipe and it worked! I feel so empowered. And, the cream cheese is yummy. Thank you!

John H June 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I recommend olive oil.

I think you meant to recommend a specific type of oil, and maybe even include a link. But the type/link isn’t showing up for me. I’m always looking for good real olive oil.

damaged justice June 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM

A good Southern girl should use no other but Duke’s :) I just finished making this and am already anticipating how good it will taste in a few hours — between this and the sauerkraut, I should finally start using up all the whey I’ve been collecting from my kefir!

cheeseslave June 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Hi, John!

Yes, the link is in javascript. I am doing a test with links being tracked in my ad serving software. We are moving away from affiliate programs and starting to do PPC. We are going to have these links live on a Resources page and we will link to that from the posts — but I don’t have that page built yet so I’ve been doing the tests within the posts.

We want to provide a list of resources to our readership that they can use. As you know, we Real Food Media bloggers are highly selective about the products we endorse. This way we can also help the sponsors we believe to get better access to their customers — and we bloggers can also make some income. It’s a new model for advertising but I’m pretty confident that it will be a good one.

I am not sure if my software will allow me to do the links without using javascript. I will ask if there is another way to do it. But if not, maybe you can turn your javascript on just for our blogs?

Lawana McGuffey June 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I love this blog! I am blessed to have chickens for meet and eggs, goats for milk and meat, hunters in my family for wild game. I really just needed to find a good mayo recipe. Without the mild evo, I didn’t like the olive mayo. I can’t wait to try again. I am making cheese today, tomorrow…mayo!
Thanks and God bless you!
Lawana

Janis July 5, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Hey Ann Marie,
I misread your recipe and left my mayo on the counter for several DAYS rather than several HOURS. Am I going to make everybody sick (question mark not working on keyboard) :-(

Sure tasted good when I had some right after making it. I’m a little nervous to try it now. I did use whey I made from raw milk.

cheeseslave July 6, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Janis – I don’t know — just taste it and see if it tastes bad. If so, toss it. Otherwise, I’d eat it if it tastes OK.

Rebecca August 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Apparently I went to quickly with the oil. I added the first half cup, and it was fine. Then it turned too runny. A waste of 3 eggs and VERY expensive olive oil. I am not impressed. I don’t know that I will try this again. I mean, I was going so slowly, my blender is getting hot!

And yes, my eggs were room temperature. They sat on my counter (in 72 degree F kitchen) for 4 hours.

grrr.

cheeseslave August 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Rebecca – I hope you did not throw it away. It isn’t wasted. You can salvage it.

I was going to put this into the post but I ran out of time while I was writing it.

It’s very easy to salvage turned mayo. Just take start over with a few egg yolks and slowly add the messed-up mayo a little at a time, like you would add the olive oil.

It’s not about the speed at which you whisk or blend. You can whisk very slowly by hand and this will still work. It is about the speed at which you pour in the oil. If you go too fast, meaning, if you pour in too much at once, it will not emulsify.

That said, I tried making mayo once with a cheap blender and it was a disaster. I think you certainly can make mayo with just a whisk and a bowl — or for that matter, with a cheap blender — but it takes the patience of a saint.

My mother-in-law told me that her husband said once that if she was going to cook, she needed proper tools. I believe that. Sometimes the tools make all the difference.

cheeseslave August 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Also, don’t be too hard on yourself. The first few times I tried making mayo, it came out really runny.

And I still can’t make a decent pizza crust using sourdough starter. And I’ve had so many bombs and mishaps in my kitchen, I can’t even count. I’ve practically set the oven on fire many, many times. Smoke, fire alarm, the whole 9. I try to laugh it off (although I’m usually cursing) and refer to myself Bridget Jones when this happens.

It takes time and practice to become a good cook.

Rebecca August 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Ah. That must be it – this blender sucks. I keep meaning to return it as it works sporadically at best. Now I guess I have even more incentive. Maybe I will get a stick blender instead.

Can I use an electric mixer for this? And will my eggs have gone over? I left the whole mess on the counter in defeat and went for a walk, I just returned now. I threw the whey into the blender with the runny mayo just now, and took out two more eggs. The original eggs have been on the counter now for about 6.5 hours…

Rebecca August 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I did it – with a whisk and a 4-cup glass measure. It took FOREVER, but it’s done. Now I wait. And rest my exhausted arms.

cheeseslave August 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Rebecca –

WOO HOO! You did it! That’s AWESOME!

I did it once, too with a whisk. It ain’t easy. But it can be done.

And I’m THRILLED that you got your mayo to come back!

And yes, you need a new blender. Considering the amount of time we traditional foodies spend cooking, we NEED quality tools.

Re: eggs… I leave my eggs on the counter for weeks sometimes. Even in warm weather. When you get farm fresh eggs, they stay fresher longer than eggs from the grocery store. Your mayo is fine, I’m sure. Add a little whey and let it sit on the counter overnight. ;-)

cheeseslave August 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM

PS: It’s good exercise for flabby arms at least. Not that you have flabby arms. I do.

rebecca August 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Haha yes, I suppose I could work on my arms a little, too. Although I’d rather do a quick gym workout than whisk Mayo for 30 minutes again anytime soon. I need a new blender.
After all is said and done, it’s still a little runny, and i’m afraid it’s gonna taste too strong. My olive oil is a little on the bold side, which is fine for cooking and salad dressings. I will let you know tomorrow how it tastes.

cheeseslave August 5, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Yes, not all olive oils are the same. I like the Chaffin Family Orchards olive oil for mayo. It’s extremely mild. Plus I like knowing I am supporting a family farm when I buy their olive oil.

I agree with you about the gym work out. Whisking is no fun! I’d rather pump iron!

Bay August 13, 2009 at 7:55 AM

AnnMarie – Shoot! I just made the NT recipe but like yours better. Do you know if using a whole egg is bad like how Sally has in her recipe? I thought uncooked egg white was bad. I did put whey in mine but wonder it it could cause food posioning…?

Cassie September 23, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Ok I just tried this recipe and was doing great and it looked really thick and creamy after getting about 1 cup of oil in then all of a sudden the blender started making a different noise and i looked down and everything was liquid again. I never started pouring the oil any faster. Do you know what I did wrong? Was it taking me too long?

cheeseslave September 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Cassie -

Nope that just happens sometimes. It’s happened to me many times.

Just empty that batch out, set it aside in a bowl and start over. Once you have a good batch, slowly add the messed-up batch bit by bit. It works. You don’t have to throw anything away.

By the way, it may be your blender. Some blenders just don’t work too well. I tried making mayo once with a cheap blender and it was a DISASTER.

Try with your food processor or maybe a handheld stick blender. Or use a whisk. It takes longer, but it does work. You don’t have to whisk fast, you can go very slow. But the motion has to be continuous.

Melinda Loustalot January 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM

This is so awesome — I used my new Kitchenaid, the olive oil I use all the time (nothing special about it) 3 eggs from my backyard chickens, sea salt from the grocery store, dry mustard, apple cider vinegar (what I had in the house) and the whey I get when I make yogurt in my crockpot (using organic pasteurized milk and Dannon’s as a starter) — I used my oil pump squirter to steadily stream the oil in the mixuture as it whisked around the mixing bowl and it took about 20 minutes — I’ve got 2 pints of mayo on my cabinets right now. . yee-hah!

I tried the Julia Child recipe before and got a dud — I think the difference was the slow, steady stream of oil from my “squirter.”
.-= Melinda Loustalot´s last blog ..Goals and Resolutions 2010 =-.

sarah January 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Hey there folks, I see many months since any comments here…But i was wondering, if anybody knows about using whey with a mayo that has lard or bacon grease? It should be fine right? People put raw meat in whey to make it better right? Also, I used a little bacon and alot of beef lard, and it turned out fantastic at first, but after fridge, turned solid just like a candle. I didn’t try the olive oil first cause I remembered reading these miles of comments about olive oil and a strong taste, and getting olive oil from online… Guess I’ll just have to break down and get some..we’re all helmann’s addicts here. So needless to say we’ve been “out of mayo” for quite a while(couple months), I refuse to pay for that toxic stuff anymore. Oh! Has anybody tried a mayo using ghee for the oil???

sewpretty13 July 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM

LOL Sarah!! I used all coconut oil for my mayo and no eggs (allergy) and it turned out rock hard as well when I put it in the fridge!

cheeseslave January 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Sarah –

I’ve never tried ghee… interesting. Might be worth a shot.

It would be fine to use the whey with lard or bacon fat mayo.

You could try using 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 bacon fat and see what happens.

Maybe I’ll try that, too. Sounds delicious!

cheeseslave January 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Melinda – what “oil pump squirter” do you have? That sounds excellent. I would like to buy one.

kmillecam January 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I am scheming on making this this week, but am having real trouble finding an appropriate olive oil. I finally realized I need to just order it from Chaffin Family Farms. Is the code still good for a discount? I want to order a gallon.
.-= kmillecam´s last blog ..Things M Says (Part Sixteen) =-.

Chris January 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Hi! Homemade mayo huh? I didn’t know that canola and soybean oil were bad for ya. Good to know though! Guess I will have to try it out. :)
.-= Chris´s last blog ..Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires =-.

Virginia February 4, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Is there any hope for my way too strong EVOO mayo? What can I do to cut the taste? Wowzer, wrong kind of EVOO!
.-= Virginia´s last blog ..Garlic Soup =-.

Wyatt Richardson October 5, 2010 at 12:30 AM

what is the best brand of motorcylcle tire anyway ?`’;

Johnny August 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM

lol .. Are you sure you are on the right blog?

Lunette Fleming February 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I printed this out for my local raw milk supplier. They also sell pastured eggs and olive oil, so this recipe is perfect for using everything they produce. Thank you. I just talked with them this morning about buying some whey from them. I suppose you can freeze whey without any lost of nutrition or consistency?

jeanmarie March 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Oops, I just reread the recipe and see it says to leave on counter for a couple of hours…I left mine out for two days! Putting in fridge now… of course, the average temperature in my kitchen is 45-55 degrees.

Lynda April 15, 2011 at 5:43 AM

I made the best mayo so far using Egg Beaters, a stick blender, and for the oil, extra light tasting (not evoo) and coconut. It was creamy and mousse-like, and so quick and easy, a child could do it.

DeniseB April 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM

The idea of lacto-fermented mayo is interesting. I normally reserve homemade mayo for special dishes as I find it only lasts 2 to 3 days. Can you use whey from other cheese making? OR must it have the cultures yogurt would give it?

Your comments bring to mind another question. I have been aware of the pitfalls of most commercial oils and use olive oil almost exclusively, but also like to use grape seed oil. In the various fat literature i never see it mentioned. What do you know about it’s wholesomeness.

Thank you so much for this blog.

charity dasenbrock June 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Yay! finally I am not a mayo virgin anymore. I so cannot believe I never made it before. I needed to make a bunch ( for a bi monthly big traditional food cooking service I do) and by the 4th batch, had the drop by drop thing and the streaming down and it is perfect. I used all olive oil. Personally, I like the taste of it and my clients will just have to as well. :)

Third June 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I made my mayo with one half melted butter and one half sunflower oil. Yeah thats bad, next time I’ll go with coconut oil instead of the sunflower oil. Turned out great though.

Btw, if you use a stick blender, and have a small enough bowl you mix it in, you dont have to drip the oil. Just put the yolk in the bottom, and everything else on top, stick the blender in the bottom of the bowl, and buzz away. 10 seconds later you have mayo!

Nice blog, yum recipes :)

cheeseslave August 12, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Yes, good suggestion on the stick blender!

LeahS July 20, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I make homemade mayo quite a bit and I generally use olive oil but I’m not all that happy with the flavor.

I did not know this: ” Canola oil comes from the rape seed, which is part of the mustard family of plants. Rape is the most toxic of all food-oil plants. Like soy, rape is a weed. Insects will not eat it; it is deadly poisonous! The oil from the rape seed is a hundred times more toxic than soy oil. Source”

cheeseslave August 12, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Hi, that’s why using a mild olive oil works. I recommend Chaffin Family Orchards olive oil which is a late-harvest Mission olive oil — the mildest I have tasted. They wait very late in the season to pick, which most growers don’t do.

Todd July 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Is the lacto fermentation aspect of this recipe based on Sally Fallon’s recipe? I ask because her original recipe contained honey. I am wondering whether the lacto-fermentation process can occur when honey is omitted without adding some sort of glucose or fructose. Any thoughts? Doesn’t lacto fermentation require sugar?

cheeseslave August 12, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Yes it is. You don’t need to add honey for it to lacto-ferment. Pickles and sauerkraut don’t contain honey and they lacto-ferment with salt or whey.

The original recipe from Julia Child contains sugar. You can add honey if you like. I did not find it necessary.

Margarat Nee August 6, 2011 at 7:58 AM

I’m going to try using some juice from my homemade sauerkraut, as I’m allergic to milk protein and thus can’t use whey.

cheeseslave August 12, 2011 at 6:51 AM

THat should work — or you can use vegetable starter culture.

Jein.Noir. September 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Hi,
I’m wondering if either of you or anyone else has attempted this recipe with the sauerkraut juice yet? I also cannot have any dairy, but most recipes call for whey, a packaged starter culture, or additional salt. I’d definitely like to have some added assurance the ferment will work without having to spend more money or add extra salt (in the case of other foods/recipes.) I’m glad to have seen leftover juice from ferments as an option throughout the Web in various recipes though. I’m just a little unsure as an amateur, lol! Also, Is there anything aside from a leftover juice that might work? Thank you! :)

Alan August 12, 2011 at 4:07 AM

I’ve tried a few different recipes for lacto-fermented mayo, but wasn’t satisfied with any of them. This one looks like it’s worth a try. Gonna give it a go and see how it turns out.

cheeseslave August 12, 2011 at 6:51 AM

This one works great. It’s from Julia Child.

Handyman August 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I’ve been using avocado instead of mayonnaise lately to cut calories, but this flavor is worth a few extra calories sometimes. Thanks for posting such beautiful recipe!
.-= Handyman´s last blog ..Handyman Services Sydney

Tina C September 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Tried your recipe and loved it! However when I left it out to ferment I intended to leave it out for a few hours. but forgot it overnight. It is safe to eat if it has been out for 24 hours before being refrigerated? I would just toss it and try again, but I did the same thing with the last batch, lol!

Abel September 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I sort of found your web site accidentally, but your website captured attention and I thought that I might post to tell you that I really like it.

tami October 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Should I not make this mayo if I don’t have access to pastured eggs? Is it not safe?

cuisinart food processor costco November 12, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Thk for cuisinart food processor costco

DavetteB November 27, 2011 at 4:55 AM

I love the idea of this, but as the picky eater in my family, does the whey noticeably affect the taste?

I love to use either cold pressed macadamia or avocado oil for this. If you use a squirt bottle like the ones for taking ketchup to a picnic or drizzling icing glaze, it is easy to get the thin stream of oil for blending.

Take care :o)

angel December 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM

The place where I live we don’t get raw milk at all.How can I still make the whey?

Jobs In Vizag December 24, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Nice to see a wonderful blog,thanks for sharing. Jobs In Vizag

Quality web directory January 2, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Great info.Thanks for sharing with us.

Quality Directory January 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Great article to post,thanks for sharing.

Directory escorts January 26, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Great info.Thanks for sharing with us.

Shaina January 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

We’ve just started making our own mayo and we love it! I use half light tasting olive oil and half grapeseed oil. Has a very nice taste. I’m excited to try it fermented!

Shaina January 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Oh yeah, the recipe I’m using calls for avocado oil instead of grapeseed oil but I didn’t have the avocado oil…I’m sure that would taste good too though!

Tamra February 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I would love to try coconut oil, but think it would chunk up when the oil solidifies? Hmmm, guess we’ll see:)

Tom clay February 11, 2012 at 5:07 AM

he actual beauties throughout United kingdom are available to generally be powered about both incall as well as outcall prearranged consultations. A absolutely love a queen may be ordered online or possibly with cell phone facial lines. It is possible to obtain incall meetings overall mild escorts agency parts of Birmingham. Unique appointment factory is certainly a great deal more trustworthy because you are able to choose the just about all amazing faces which can be demonstrated with your screen which is quite modern.

Amanda March 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

How long does this mayo last?

Aneah E. April 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I am very interested in this recipe and wondered if you could provide info. or a link as to why the whey makes it last longer in the fridge.
Thanks

Ellen August 16, 2012 at 6:11 AM

I know this is really late, but is there a way to lacto-ferment mayo without the whey? My daughter is dairy-sensitive, but I am trying to get more ferments into her to help with her gut situation.

Mrs. Cunard August 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Thank you for your wonderful website and recipes, but I have to say I just tried to make this recipe twice and it didn’t turn out. I’m frustrated and discouraged. I used a $9 bottle of good olive oil and 6 eggs…all wasted. Then I tried the mayo recipe out of Nourishing Traditions and it turned out fine. I tried it with 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 coconut oil, which is what I had on hand, to try to minimize the overbearing olive oil flavor. It’s not bad but we’ll have to get used to it. Trying to retrain the taste buds here.

Creative Simple Life December 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I’ve found mayo to be super hit or miss in general, so I can appreciate your frustration. I love this lacto-fermented recipe, though! Here is a great link to a method for saving your mayo when if feels that all is lost: http://justhungry.com/2006/02/basics_mayonnai.html
I found it after attempting this recipe with my less than par mayo-making skills. Don’t lose hope!

Jody December 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I recently made mayo and it was so easy. No patience required. Put all the ingredients (room temp) into a jar or container that the stick blender goes in, blend pulling up with the stick blender and you have perfect mayo. Delish.

Lizzie January 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your website?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?

http://tinyurl.com/tripmrs27171 January 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Precisely how long did it acquire u to post “Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise”?
It seems to have an awful lot of fine tips. Thx -Patty