If you’re searching for the perfect summer side dish, look no further! This Quinoa Salad is tasty and simple to make.
It’s a great thing to bring to a picnic or BBQ; it pairs well with meat or seafood. I like it with rack of lamb or lamb chops, steak, roast chicken, pork ribs, or grilled salmon or shrimp.
And yes, it’s gluten-free!
I’ve soaked the quinoa overnight to make it more digestible and nutritious. It also has black beans which provide protein as well as flavor. (Quinoa is also very rich in protein.) And chicken stock, which helps you utilize the protein, and you get lots of benefits from the gelatin in chicken stock.
The lime juice, bell pepper, corn and parsley give this quinoa salad loads of flavor. It’s even better the next day. I like double the recipe so we have leftovers in the fridge for easy summer lunches.
You can make this dish a day or two ahead; store in the fridge.
Quinoa (1 1/2 cups)
Filtered water (4 1/2 cups)
Whey, lemon juice, kefir or yogurt (1 tablespoon)
Chicken stock, preferably homemade (3/4 cup)
Black beans, canned (1 1/2 cups)
Corn, frozen, organic if possible (1 1/2 cups)
Bell pepper, red, yellow or orange (1)
Parsley (1 bunch)
Lime juice, fresh, (5 tablespoons, or to taste)
Sea salt (1 teaspoon) — where to buy sea salt
Cumin, ground (1 1/4 teaspoons, or to taste) where to buy spices
Olive oil (1/3 cup) where to buy olive oil
1. Warm 4 1/2 cups filtered water in a saucepan to just above body temperature (113-131 degrees). You don’t need a thermometer —- just heat it until it’s hot to the touch but not boiling. If you let it come to a boil, let it cool before using.
2. In a large glass or enamelware (not metal) bowl or pitcher, add 1 1/2 cups quinoa, 4 1/2 cups heated filtered water, and 1 tablespoons of whey, lemon juice, kefir or yogurt. Mix thoroughly.
3. Cover the bowl with a dishtowel and let sit overnight on the counter or in a cupboard. Let sit overnight.
4. When ready to make the quinoa salad, add the soaked quinoa and 3/4 cup chicken stock to a small to medium saucepan on medium to high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
5. While the quinoa is cooking, make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, sea salt, and cumin. Add the olive oil in a stream, whisking. Set aside.
6. Strain and rinse the black beans. Set aside.
7. Deseed and chop the bell pepper. Set aside.
8. Mince the parsley. Set aside.
9. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, bell pepper. Add the parsley to taste.
10. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with sea salt and pepper to taste.