White Bean and Chicken Chili is one of my very favorite winter meals. If it’s cold out and you’re tired of chili, try this version with white beans, chicken, chicken stock, and green chiles. It’s delicious with grated cheese and sour cream on top.
This recipe is legal on the GAPS Diet.
Get More Recipes
For more recipes like this one, check out my meal plan subscription service, Menus By Mail. Get recipes in your inbox every week.
White Bean Chili
Navy beans, dried (1 lb)
Chicken stock, homemade (5 cups)
Butter, ghee, lard, tallow, grass-fed, duck fat, or expeller-pressed coconut oil (4 tablespoons) — where to buy butter; where to buy ghee; where to buy coconut oil
Garlic (2 cloves)
Onion, yellow or white, medium (1)
Green chiles, canned (8 oz)
Chicken breasts and/or thighs, pastured or free range organic, skinless & boneless (1 lb)
Cumin, ground (1 TBS)
Oregano, dried (1 TBS)
Red pepper flakes (1 pinch)
Sea salt (to taste) — where to buy sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste) — where to buy black pepper
Sour cream or coconut milk kefir — where to buy starters
Garnish: Cheese, cheddar, or Parmesan, from grass-fed cows (2 oz) — where to buy cheese
Stock pot or Dutch oven
1. Rinse beans well, and pick out any stones.
2. Put the dry beans in a stockpot or Dutch oven and cover with warm filtered water. Cover with a lid, set in a warm place and let soak for 12-24 hours.
3. Drain and rinse beans.
4. Place beans back in the stockpot with chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Meanwhile, cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
6. Chop the onion and mince or crush the garlic. Set aside.
7. In a large saucepan, heat 4 TBS of butter or other fat (see ingredients) on medium heat.
8. Add garlic, onion, and green chiles and saute for 5 minutes.
9. Stir in the chicken, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes.
10. Add to the stock pot with the beans.
11. Set the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 hours. Or you can transfer to a crock pot and cook for 3-4 hours.
12. Serve with lots of grated cheese and sour cream or, if you are dairy intolerant, add fermented coconut yogurt.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.