You may have made your own lacto-fermented salsa before. It's easy enough, but it does take some time to chop all the tomatoes and onions, etc.
I have just discovered a way to make real lacto-fermented salsa in just 30 seconds.
Don't believe me? It's true.
Last week, we had some friends over for fish tacos and they brought some jars of fresh salsa from the health food store. If you've ever bought salsa from the grocery store, you know that it goes bad in a day or two in the fridge — so you have to eat it up right away or toss it.
The morning after the dinner party, it dawned on me. Why not just add some starter culture to the store-bought salsas? If you can culture homemade salsa, you can certainly culture store-bought salsa.
This salsa is the perfect compliment to my homemade corn tortilla chips.
Why Lacto-fermented Salsa?
Unlike fresh salsa which you can only store in the fridge for a day or two, lacto-fermented salsa will keep for weeks or even months in the fridge. I've kept it in there for up to 6 months!
Of course, the best reason to culture your salsa is for the health benefits. Lacto-fermented salsa is loaded with enzymes and probiotics. Read my post about why you want to get more enzymes into your diet. Read my post about why fermented foods are so good for you.
OK, if you want to get technical, this is not really 30 Second Salsa because you do have to let it sit on the counter for a day or two.
It occurred to me that this would also work for all kinds of store-bought condiments — from ketchup to mayonnaise. We regularly buy our mayonnaise because I don't have time to make lacto-fermented mayonnaise from scratch. See my resources page for a brand of mayonnaise that contains no soybean or canola oil. Why not just open up the jar of mayo and add a little starter culture?
30 Second Lacto-fermented Salsa
Mason jar — where to buy Mason Jar
1. Open the jar of salsa.
2. Pour into a mason jar.
3. Stir in the starter culture (previously mixed with water) or whey with a spoon. You need 1 TBS of liquid vegetable starter or whey — per cup of salsa.
4. Cover with a lid (on loosely) or a dishcloth, or a paper towel or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
5. Let ferment on the counter for 2-3 days.
6. Salsa will keep for weeks or months in fridge.
Photo credit: mswine on Flickr
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Work with me! Make money working from home, and you save 30% or more on all your hair care and skin care. In this post, I explain why I believe Network Marketing is the #1 Way to Make Money Online. After you finish reading the post, click this link: WATCH THE WEBINAR: How to Choose the Best Side Hustle. That takes you to my free webinar that gives you all the information on joining my MONAT team.
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.