Caprese Salad, or Insalata Caprese in Italian, is a summer salad made with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. It is the perfect salad in summertime, with freshly harvested homegrown basil and tomatoes.
The recipe is from the island of Capri. It was invented in the 1950s at the Trattoria da Vincenzo. Regulars would order a just-picked tomato and some fresh fior di latte, or cow's-milk mozzarella.
Traditionally, the dressing for Caprese salad was just a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Vinegar was believed to destroy the delicate flavor of the cheese and was never used. That said, you will find Caprese salads dressed with olive oil and Balsmaic vinegar in many American restaurants. I think it’s good both ways. If you’re a purist, just use olive oil.Print
- Tomatoes, ideally heirloom and/or homegrown, organic, large (4 or 2 lbs)
- Mozzarella, fresh, ideally from grass-fed cows (1 lb)
- Basil, fresh, ideally organic (1/4 cup packed)
- Olive oil, extra-virgin, organic (3-4 TBS)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
1. Slice tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices.
2. Slice mozzarella into 1/2-inch slices.
3. On a large platter, arrange tomato, mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating them.
4. Drizzle with the olive oil.
5. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
It is essential to use the very best ingredients. Flavorless grocery store tomatoes and rubbery processed mozzarella are unacceptable. Use fresh basil and tomatoes and the best quality mozzarella you can find.
Ideally, use homegrown tomatoes and basil from your garden. It's so fun to just head outdoors, gather some fresh produce and make a salad.
Pin This Post: Caprese Salad
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.