Looking for an easy homemade hummus recipe? This recipe is fast, easy and economical.
Easy Homemade Hummus
My family is addicted to my homemade hummus. It's a snap to make in the food processor, and it keeps well in the fridge for a quick and easy snack. We love to eat it for dinner with good sourdough bread, along with meat or fish or soup. It also makes a great sandwich spread with meats or cheese.
This homemade hummus is especially wonderful when it's warm in the spring and summertime. I love serving hummus at a family BBQ. And hummus is a great way to get protein, plus fresh garlic and nutritious olive oil into your family.
I used canned beans to make this a fast, last-minute recipe. It is more economical to make this recipe with dried beans — just soak them and cook them in advance. (You'll need 1.5 cups of dried beans to make this recipe. Here's how to convert dried beans to canned beans.)
I use a lot of garlic and lemon, because I love stronger flavors. I also use a lot more olive oil and tahini than most recipes call for because I want to get more of these good fats — they're good for you! If you want a more mild hummus, just add more garbanzo beans. I usually add a tiny pinch of cayenne and some cumin — but you don't have to add them. Play around with the amounts and use what works for your tastebuds.
Don't Just Use Any Old Olive Oil!
It's very important what kind of olive oil you buy. Most olive oil on the market is fake. Read my post, Is Your Olive Oil Fake? about how 70% of olive oil is adulterated (cut) with cheaper oils like soybean oil and canola oil. Yikes!
My absolute favorite olive oil these days is Burroughs Family Farm Organic Olive Oil. The olives are grown on a family farm in California and it's 100% real organic olive oil. You gotta know your farmer!
What's really fabulous about Burroughs Family Farms Olive Oils is you can get them in a variety of flavors: basil olive oil, garlic olive oil, lemon olive oil, and orange olive oil. Try some of the flavored varieties at your next BBQ or family meal your friends and family will love it!
Easy Homemade Hummus
Food processor (this is my favorite food processor — I've tried others and nothing beats this one)
Garbanzo Beans, organic (3 15-ounce cans, or 1 1/2 cups of dried beans, soaked in water overnight and cooked)
Juice from two lemons
Olive oil (3/4 cup)
Garlic, fresh (3-4 cloves), crushed (to taste)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper, a pinch (optional)
Cumin, a pinch (optional)
Paprika, a pinch (optional)
1. Throw everything in the food processor and blend until mixed well.
2. Taste and add seasonings accordingly.
3. Garnish with a pinch of paprika and serve with sourdough bread, or organic pita bread.
Here's a photo of Kate yawning, sourdough bread at the ready, while she waits for Mommy to quit taking pictures already and LET ME AT THAT HUMMUS!
Pin This Post: Easy Homemade Hummus
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.