One question I get asked a lot is how to make gravy without gluten. It's easy to make gravy without flour — just make a reduction sauce. A stock-based reduction sauce is easily made with pan drippings from roast meat, bone broth, and a little wine or vinegar. It's called a reduction sauce because you let it reduce in half and it becomes very thick, and much more nutritious.
This is my favorite way to eat bone broth. I hope you enjoy it!
This recipe will make about 1 cup of reduction sauce. You can make more if you like; just add twice as much stock as you need for sauce. It will keep in the fridge or you can freeze it.
The onion is optional. It adds more flavor but you can leave it out if you're in a hurry.
If you're using vinegar instead of wine, only use a little bit. If you use too much, it will taste vinegary.
Easy Reduction Sauce
Duck, chicken or beef stock (2 cups)
Wine or port wine (1/2 cup) — or vinegar (2-3 TBS)
Butter, ghee, grass-fed, or bacon fat, lard or duck fat (2 oz) — where to buy lard and fats
Optional: Onion, large (1/4)
Honey (1 tsp) — where to buy honey
Sea salt (to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste) — where to buy black pepper
1. After roasting poultry or beef in the oven, remove the carcass and set aside to let cool.
2. Pour off all of the fat except about 2-3 tablespoons (save it in a jar and store in fridge forfuture use).
3. Put the roasting pan on the stove (you can spread it across 2 burners).
4. Optional: Chop the onion.
5. Add vinegar or wine and the optional onion and honey to pan and set on medium heat.
6. Use a wooden spoon or other implement to clean the stuck bits of meat off of the pan.
7. Cook for a few minutes until the liquid thickens.
8. Set the heat to high.
9. Add 2 cups of homemade stock (it's fine if it's frozen).
10. Let boil rapidly until the liquid reduces by half or until the sauce is nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon.
11. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
12. Stir in two tablespoons of butter or ghee (if you are dairy-free, you can skip this step, or use coconut oil instead).
13. Ladle the sauce over the meat and serve.
Photo credit: ulterior epicure on Flickr
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.