Baked beans is one of my favorite dishes. It always reminds me of my Grandma Ruth, who passed away last year. She made the best baked beans. This recipe is as close to hers as I could get.
If you're on the GAPS Diet, this is such a comforting, delicious dish. I love to eat baked beans as a side dish with Sloppy Joes, burgers (without a bun,) or sugar-free grass-fed hot dogs or sausages. It's great on a cold autumn or winter night, or you can bring it to summertime picnics and barbecues.
I've cooked the beans in chicken stock for extra nourishment and flavor, and added a ham hock for more protein.Print
Homemade Baked Beans
- Navy or Great Northern beans, dried, organic if possible (1 lb)
- Ham hock, ideally pastured (1) or use salt pork (1/2 pound) or bacon made without sugar and added nitrates (1 lb)
- Onion, white or yellow, large (1)
- Garlic cloves (2)
- Water, filtered
- Chicken stock, homemade from pastured chickens (10 cups + more as needed)
- Bay leaves (2)
- Honey (up to 1/4 cup)
- Date sugar (up to 1/2 cup)
- Ketchup, homemade — or store-bought ketchup sweetened with fruit juice (1 cup)
- Mustard, yellow, organic (1 TBS)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
1. First thing in the morning, put the beans in the crock pot. Pick out any stones. If you don't have a crock pot, use a stock pot or Dutch oven.
2. Cover with filtered water (about an inch or two higher than the beans).
3. Set the crock pot on warm for a couple of hours, then turn off the heat. Let sit for 24 hours. (If using a stock pot, turn on the heat and just bring the water up to warm. Then remove from heat, cover and let sit for 24 hours).
4. The next morning, drain the beans in a colander and rinse well.
5. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Dice the bacon and add it to the pot. Fry the bacon until crispy, about 4 to 6 minutes.
6. Peel and dice the onions, adding to the pot. Cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Peel and mince the garlic. Add the garlic and the beans to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
8. Increase the heat, stir in the chicken stock and bay leaves, and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook the beans for about 2 hours, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
9. Add in the honey and or date sugar, ketchup, and mustard. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and flavors have come together.
10. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
If you want to use just honey, you can substitute honey instead of date sugar (or vice versa). Use as little honey or date sugar as you can get away with.
If you don't have homemade ketchup or can't find fruit-sweetened ketchup, you can use tomato paste.
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Crock pot, stock pot or Dutch oven
Pin This Post: Homemade Baked Beans
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.