If you're on the GAPS diet, one of those occasions that can be tough is birthdays. Especially with kids.
This birthday cake looks and tastes just like a real birthday cake, but it's grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free. And it's totally legal on the GAPS diet.Print
GAPS Diet Birthday Cake
- Navy or Great Northern beans, dried (1 cup)
- Filtered water (3 cups)
- Eggs, pastured (6)
- Vanilla extract, homemade (1 tsp)
- Honey (1/2 cup)
- Coconut oil, melted (1/4 cup)
- Coconut flour (1/3 cup)
- Sea salt (1/2 tsp)
1. Place the beans in a large bowl or Dutch oven. Add the filtered water, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and let soak for 12-24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the beans, transfer to a Dutch oven or large sauce pan, cover with filtered water and cook on medium heat for 45-60 minutes.
3. When the beans are done, let them cool (this can be done a day ahead — just store them in the fridge).
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
5. Place the cooked and cooled beans into the food processor.
6. Crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Add the yolks to the food processor. Place the whites into a large bowl and set aside.
7. Add the vanilla and honey into the food processor and puree the mixture well, scraping down the sides as necessary.
8. Add in the sea salt, melted coconut oil and the coconut flour . Puree again.
9. Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter until incorporated.
10. Grease and line the bottom round of the spring form pan with parchment paper. Pour in the cake batter and smooth out the top.
11. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the cake has turned a light golden color. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean when done.
12. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
13. Once cooled, go around the the edge of the cake with a knife to loosen the sides.
14. Unbuckle the side of the spring form pan to remove the bottom.
15. Frost the cake immediately if desired, or freeze prior to frosting (it's a bit easier to frost if the cake is frozen).
See my recipe for homemade vanilla extract. If you are on the GAPS diet, make sure you use high-quality vodka, as many cheaper vodkas contain gluten. If you don't have 2 months to wait to make homemade vanilla extract, you can omit it from this recipe.
For frosting, I used my homemade marshmallow fluff. You can add a little natural food coloring, or make your own. I used a food coloring I bought online that is made only from beets.
The ice cream in the photo above is dairy-free coconut milk strawberry ice cream made with strawberries and honey (recipe coming soon).
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Stand mixer, or electric hand mixer
Spring form pan
Pin This Post: GAPS Diet Birthday Cake
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: email@example.com
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.