If you're on the GAPS diet, one of those occasions that can be tough is birthdays. Especially with kids.
This birthday cake looks and tastes just like a real birthday cake, but it's grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free. And it's totally legal on the GAPS diet.Print
GAPS Diet Birthday Cake
- Navy or Great Northern beans, dried (1 cup)
- Filtered water (3 cups)
- Eggs, pastured (6)
- Vanilla extract, homemade (1 tsp)
- Honey (1/2 cup)
- Coconut oil, melted (1/4 cup)
- Coconut flour (1/3 cup)
- Sea salt (1/2 tsp)
1. Place the beans in a large bowl or Dutch oven. Add the filtered water, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and let soak for 12-24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the beans, transfer to a Dutch oven or large sauce pan, cover with filtered water and cook on medium heat for 45-60 minutes.
3. When the beans are done, let them cool (this can be done a day ahead — just store them in the fridge).
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
5. Place the cooked and cooled beans into the food processor.
6. Crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Add the yolks to the food processor. Place the whites into a large bowl and set aside.
7. Add the vanilla and honey into the food processor and puree the mixture well, scraping down the sides as necessary.
8. Add in the sea salt, melted coconut oil and the coconut flour . Puree again.
9. Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter until incorporated.
10. Grease and line the bottom round of the spring form pan with parchment paper. Pour in the cake batter and smooth out the top.
11. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the cake has turned a light golden color. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean when done.
12. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
13. Once cooled, go around the the edge of the cake with a knife to loosen the sides.
14. Unbuckle the side of the spring form pan to remove the bottom.
15. Frost the cake immediately if desired, or freeze prior to frosting (it's a bit easier to frost if the cake is frozen).
See my recipe for homemade vanilla extract. If you are on the GAPS diet, make sure you use high-quality vodka, as many cheaper vodkas contain gluten. If you don't have 2 months to wait to make homemade vanilla extract, you can omit it from this recipe.
For frosting, I used my homemade marshmallow fluff. You can add a little natural food coloring, or make your own. I used a food coloring I bought online that is made only from beets.
The ice cream in the photo above is dairy-free coconut milk strawberry ice cream made with strawberries and honey (recipe coming soon).
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Stand mixer, or electric hand mixer
Spring form pan
Pin This Post: GAPS Diet Birthday Cake
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my mailing list and get notified when I publish a new video or blog post. This is the BEST way to get updates.
- Follow me on Telegram: my Telegram channel This is the second best way to get updates. Telegram is an app you can add to your phone.
- Follow me on Gab: https://gab.com/cheeseslave
- Subscribe to my Bitchute channel. I'm hoping this site will not go down. I'm going to be posting videos on Gab -- but I will back up on Bitchute.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel.
- Support me on Patreon
I uploaded a new video: The Rainbow Connection.
In the wake of #FauciGate, this week's FOIA release of 3,000 pages of emails from Dr. Fauci, we now find out a new blockbuster piece of information about the Wuhan Institute of Virology. In this...