It took me a while but I finally perfected a fabulous grain-free cracker that I like just as much as my sprouted flour crackers.
If you're on a grain-free diet, these crackers are a great snack to keep on hand, or you can eat them for lunch or with a soup or salad for dinner. I love them topped with wild salmon roe, egg salad, liverwurst, or grass-fed cheese.
Where to Buy Soaked and Dried Nuts and Seeds
If you don't have time to soak and dry nuts and seeds, you can buy them online.Print
- Nuts and seeds, soaked and dried — any combination of pecans, pistachios, walnuts, pine nuts, sesame seeds, almonds (10-11 ounces or 2-3 cups)
- Sea salt (2-3 tsp)
- Filtered water
- Egg, large, pastured (1)
- Coconut oil (2 TBS)
Optional: Seeds, sea salt, chopped herbs or grated Parmesan for the garnish
1. Soak the nuts and seeds overnight in a mason jar or bowl with filtered water and sea salt (1 teaspoon per cup) for 7-12 hours. (This can be done ahead.)
2. Rinse and dry them in a dehydrator, or on the lowest setting in the oven.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Put the nuts and seeds into the food processor and blend until it is a meal or flour. Do not overblend or you will end up with a nut butter. It should be the consistence of sand.
5. Melt the coconut oil.
6. Add the egg and salt and pulse until combined.
7. Add the coconut oil and blend.
8. Put the dough onto the Silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll it out with a rolling pin as thin as you can get it. Smooth out the edges.
9. If you like, you can decorate the top of the cracker dough with seeds and/or sea salt. Chopped rosemary or other herbs, or grated Parmesan would also be nice to add.
10. Use a pizza cutter to cut the size of crackers you want.
11. Put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes — or put it on the lowest setting in your dehydrator (and let them go until they are very crisp — they will come out crispier in the dehydrator). If using the oven, keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
12. Let them cool and enjoy!
You can use any combination of nuts and seeds for these crackers.
It is important to soak and dry the nuts and seeds to reduce the anti-nutrients and improve digestibility and absorption.
Flax seeds are the exception — they do not need to be soaked and dried. Also, flax seeds should be stored in freezer.
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Food processor or blender
Baking sheet lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper
Optional: Dehydrator(set at the lowest setting)