Since I've been eating more carbs lately, one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is hash browns.
In addition to carbs, I'm trying to eat more salt. Most of us don't eat enough salt these days. We eat about half the salt we used to eat a hundred years ago.
“…a lack of sodium slows metabolism, lowers carbon dioxide production, and creates inflammation, stress and degeneration. Rephrasing it, sodium stimulates energy metabolism, increases carbon dioxide production, and protects against inflammation and other maladaptive stress reactions.” — Ray Peat
“A very recent study demonstrated that when healthy people were placed on a very low-salt diet they developed insulin resistance within seven days.” — Morton Satin PhD and Vice President, Science and Research at the Salt Institute, in Wise Traditions, Spring 2012
Nothing like kicking off your morning and your metabolism with some salty, starchy hash browns.
Coconut oil is very good for the thyroid. I don't like the idea of eating hash browns cooked in soybean oil, which is what you get when you eat them at a restaurant.
Now you can make healthy and totally delicious hash browns at home. This recipe is a snap, especially if you have a food processor. Your family will love these hash browns!
Where to Buy Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil
I buy it in the money-saving 5-gallon bucket. It's extremely shelf-stable and will last in your kitchen for years (of course, mine never lasts that long — I go through a bucket in about a year or so).Print
Healthy Hash Browns
- Potatoes, Idaho or Russet, not peeled, organic if possible (4 ounces)
- Expeller pressed coconut oil –
- Sea salt
1. Heat up the coconut oil in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet on medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, shred the potatoes in your food processor or grate on the largest hole of a box grater. Remove excess moisture by squeezing the grated potatoes in some paper towels or a dish towel.
3. Add the shredded potatoes. Spread them out in a thin layer in the pan. If they are spread too thickly, you will end up with an uncooked middle.
4. Cook for 5 minutes without disturbing.
5. Decrease the heat to low, flip the potatoes, and cook for another 5 minutes. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
6. Serve immediately with generous amounts of sea salt and ketchup.
I don't recommend using regular virgin coconut oil for this recipe. I don't like the flavor of coconut with hash browns. Expeller-pressed coconut oil has no coconut flavor, and you get all the benefits of coconut oil.
I hate hash browns when they are undercooked, don't you? I love them when they're nice and crispy and golden-brown. The trick to these hash browns is spreading them out thinly in the skillet. If you need to make a lot of them, use 2 or 3 large skillets so the cooking time will go faster.
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Cast iron skillet
Food processor or box grater
Pin This Post: Healthy Hash Browns
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: email@example.com
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.