This is the third and final post on how to make tortillas from scratch. These are corn tortillas, made from masa. They came out really delicious. We had them with beef tongue (tacos de lengua) one night, and I had cheese quesadillas the next night.
To read the previous entries, click the links below:
Homemade Corn Tortillas
Tortilla press (optional; you can use a cutting board)
Plastic freezer bag or other plastic shopping bag
Cast iron pan
Masa (or corn meal dough) – from Homemade Corn Tortillas – Part Two: How to Make Masa
1. Pat the dough into balls about 1.5 ounces each.
2. I made 12 balls, for 12 tortillas. I took the other pound of masa, patted it into a large ball, wrapped it in plastic and froze them for later. If you plan to use the masa in the next couple of days, you can store it in the fridge.
3. Cut two circles from a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag (you could also use a plastic shopping bag). The circles should be the same size as your tortilla press. Put one piece of plastic on the tortilla press, put a ball of masa on the plastic, then a piece of plastic on top of the ball, then press down until flat.
4. If you don't have a tortilla press (I didn't when I made these; I've since bought one), you can still make tortillas. Use the plastic circles as described above. Then use a cutting board to firmly press down on the balls of masa.
6. Put the flattened masa in a very hot (medium high) cast iron pan. You don't need any grease in the pan. Heat for 1-3 minutes on each side. You will know when they are done when they bubble or puff up.
7. Keep warm in a basket and/or wrapped in a towel or foil until ready to eat. Eat as soon as possible or store in the fridge. You can also freeze them, or cut into quarters and fry in coconut oil or lard to make tortilla chips.
Other posts in this series:
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: email@example.com
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.