Thai fish sauce, or fermented fish sauce, is a staple throughout southeast Asia (not just Thailand). It makes a great substitute for soy sauce. I use it instead of soy sauce now because it's so much better for you. Since the fish is allowed to ferment for several weeks, you end up with a highly nutritious condiment.
Thai fish sauce can also be added to soups or stews, or anytime you want more “umamai” flavor in a dish. I use it in everything from beef stew to chili to barbecue sauce — it really boosts the flavor. Fermented fish sauce is also used in making ketchup.Print
Homemade Thai Fish Sauce
- Fish, small, including heads (1 1/2 pounds)
- Sea salt (3 TBS)
- Filtered water (2 cups)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Bay leaves (2)
- Peppercorns, whole (1 teaspoon)
- Lemon rind, organic if possible (from 1/2 lemon)
- Whey, or Caldwell’s vegetable starter mixed with water (2 TBS)
1. Cut up fish into small pieces and place in wide-mouth mason jar.
2. Cut up the lemon rind into small pieces.
3. Add sea salt and press down with a wooden pounder or meat hammer.
4. Add remaining ingredients to jar and stir together.
5. Add additional water to cover fish if needed — water should cover fish but be sure to leave at least an inch from the top of the jar.
6. Cover and leave at room temperature for about 3 days.
7. Transfer to refrigerator and let sit for several weeks.
8. Strain liquid through a strainer (you may use cheesecloth if you like) and bottle the liquid (old soy sauce bottles are great for this). Discard the solids.
9. Store fish sauce in the fridge. It will keep for several months.
This recipe is adapted from Sally Fallon Morell's recipe in her book, Nourishing Traditions.
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Wood pounder or meat hammer
Pint This Post: Homemade Thai Fish Sauce
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.