1. Add the coconut ﬂakes and the water to a large saucepan or stockpot.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer to a large bowl and set it in a sinkful of cool water with ice cubes if you want it to cool faster.
4. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
5. Strain the mixture through several layers of cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, or a ﬁne mesh sieve. Press out as much liquid as possible.
6. The resulting liquid is coconut milk and can be used for drinking or used in recipes. Store in the refrigerator or freeze. (I freeze mine in ice cube trays. Each ice cube tray is 1 ounce — this makes for easy measuring.)
You can save the pulp from making the coconut milk and make your own coconut flour. This is a great way to save money.