Brownies, the quintessential American dessert. You can make them much healthier by using pastured eggs, grass-fed butter, sprouted flour — so much better for you than using factory farm eggs, vegetable oil and refined white flour.
If you're going to make brownies, make this healthier version. When you're craving a chocolately treat, these brownies are perfection.
I know you are going to love them!
This recipe was modified from the “All-American Fudge-Chunk Brownies” recipe in Richard Sax's fabulous and essential cookbook, Classic Home Desserts. If you don't have this cookbook, order it now. The man is a genius.
If you are using sprouted flour, it is critical to add the extra egg or use some vital wheat gluten. I tried it both ways. Without the extra egg or vital wheat gluten, the brownies came out crumbly and dry. With the extra egg/vital wheat gluten, the brownies were moist, a cross between cake and fudge, with a beautiful crackly top.
Sprouted Flour Brownies
Makes 15 brownies
Unsweetened chocolate (2 ounces)
Chocolate, semisweet (4 oz)
Butter, grass-fed, unsalted (4 oz) + extra butter for greasing the pan — where to buy butter
Sprouted flour (2/3 cup) — where to buy sprouted flour
Sea salt (1 pinch)
Eggs, pastured or free-range organic (2)
Vital wheat gluten (2/3 tsp) or use 1 extra egg
Palm sugar or sucanat (1 cup) — where to buy sweeteners
Vanilla extract, real, organic if possible (1 tsp) — see my post on how to make vanilla extract
[easyazon-link asin=”B00004SZ7K” locale=”us”]8-inch square baking pan[/easyazon-link], ideally glass or stoneware
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
3. Melt the unsweetened chocolate, butter, and semi-sweet chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
4. Sift the sprouted flour (throw away the bran,) into a bowl. Add the pinch of salt and 2/3 tsp vital wheat gluten. Blend well and set aside.
5. In another bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer (or a whisk) for a few minutes, until frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add the vanilla.
6. Fold in the melted chocolate. Fold in the flour/salt mixture and blend.
7. Pour the batter into the greased pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake until a toothpick comes out almost clean, about 25 minutes.
9. Place the pan on a wire rack or trivet and let cool completely. Do not cut until completely cool.
Photo credit: jeffreyw on Flickr
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my mailing list and get notified when I publish a new video or blog post. This is the BEST way to get updates.
- Follow me on Telegram: my Telegram channel This is the second best way to get updates. Telegram is an app you can add to your phone.
- Follow me on Gab: https://gab.com/cheeseslave
- Subscribe to my Bitchute channel. I'm hoping this site will not go down. I'm going to be posting videos on Gab -- but I will back up on Bitchute.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel.
- Support me on Patreon
I uploaded a new video: The Rainbow Connection.
In the wake of #FauciGate, this week's FOIA release of 3,000 pages of emails from Dr. Fauci, we now find out a new blockbuster piece of information about the Wuhan Institute of Virology. In this...