It's fall, and for me, fall is all about soup! I think you're going to love this Potato Cheddar Broccoli Soup. My husband even loves it and he is so not a soup kind of guy.
I love a baked potato topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream and steamed broccoli. It's one of my very favorite treats. This soup has all the exact same ingredients — only of course, you add homemade chicken stock which is so good for you.
Potato Cheddar Broccoli SoupPrint
Potato Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- Onions, yellow or white, medium (2)
- Grass-fed butter or ghee, or coconut oil, or pastured lard (2-3 TBS)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Potatoes, russet, organic if possible (2 1/2 pounds)
- Carrots, organic if possible (2)
- Chicken stock, homemade (5 cups)
- Broccoli, organic if possible (1 lb)
- Raw milk from grass-fed cows (3/4 cup)
- Cream, grass-fed, raw if possible (3/4 cup)
- Cheddar cheese, from grass-fed cows (1 cup)
- Sea salt, to taste
1. Chop onions and smash, crush or mince garlic.
2. In a Dutch oven or stainless steel saucepan, cook onions in fat until soft.
3. Stir in crushed garlic and cook for another few minutes.
4. Peel and chop up potatoes and carrots.
5. Add potatoes, carrots, and chicken stock.
6. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
7. Separate broccoli into small flowerets and tender stems and set aside. Discard tough stems.
8. Add broccoli stems to potato mixture. Cover; simmer 45 minutes. Add broccoli flowerets and cook, covered, for 15 minutes more.
9. Add milk, cream, cheese, salt, and pepper to the pot.
10. Puree with immersion blender or use a potato masher until coarsely blended to desired texture.
11. Add more chicken stock, if needed, to desired consistency. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Dutch oven or stainless steel saucepan