It took me 42 years to finally get around to trying poutine. It's Canada's national dish, but in America it's not so common. Which is why it took me so long to try it.
Now that I've had it, I wish I honestly wish I'd lived in Canada all these years.
I'm in love. Deeply in love. If you like French fries, gravy, and cheese, you are going to fall hard for poutine. So hard you're gonna want to marry it.
This is a healthy version of poutine, because we're using grass-fed butter, cheese, beef stock made from bones from grass-fed cows, and sprouted flour or arrowroot, and we're frying our French fries in a healthy fat such as beef tallow, lard or coconut oil.
Butter, grass-fed if possible (2 tablespoons) — where to buy grass-fed butter
Sprouted flour or arrowroot (2 tablespoons) — where to buy sprouted flour
Beef stock (2 cups) — see my recipe for homemade beef stock — you can also use chicken stock
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste — where to buy black pepper
Potatoes, Russet (2 pounds)
Lard or beef tallow, grass-fed, or coconut oil or palm oil — where to buy coconut oil
Cheese curds, or grated cheese, grass-fed (1/2 pound) — where to buy grass-fed cheese
EquipmentCuisinart 619-16 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 1-1/2-Quart Saucepan with Lid
1. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter and sprouted flour or arrowroot. Whisk until incorporated and no lumps remain. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
2. Whisk in the beef stock. Season with sea salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut fries, 3-4 inches long by 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide.
4. Bring a pot of filtered water to a boil.
5. Add the potatoes and blanch for 3-5 minutes.
6. Remove, drain and cool. Pat with a dish cloth until completely dry.
7. Fry the potatoes in beef tallow, lard, or coconut oil until golden brown. (See my recipe for homemade French fries.)
8. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Plate the fries. Spoon the gravy over the fries and crumble the cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Find Me Online
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cheeseslave
- Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/cheeseslave
- My List of Q (QAnon) Resources: https://www.cheeseslave.com/q-resources/
Support Me & My Work
I have been blogging about real food, alternative health, and about the dangers of vaccines and Big Pharma since 2007. As a result, the cabal has punished me severely financially via the IRS, FTC, hacks, etc. I lost my blog network in 2014 which I now believe was an orchestrated attack. Last summer, I lost 80% of my income from my blog due to the Google algorithm change that impacted almost all health bloggers including Dr. Mercola.I'm now working to build my blog and YouTube channel and I appreciate all the support from my fans. Once I can start making more money, I will be able to hire some help and childcare, so I can create more content. Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are some ways you can support me as a content creator and journalist:
- Support me on Patreon (I'm still setting up the bonuses from the tiers but you can start donating now).
- Buy my shampoo or skincare. Want more info? Read my review of MONAT. Or click here to learn how to order MONAT and save the most money. Got questions? Send me an email at email@example.com with any questions or if you need help placing an order.
- Send me a donation via Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enroll in my online course: Online Marketing Simplified. Updates to the course are temporarily on hold so I can cover Q -- but I will be back to adding course lessons as soon as the storm is over and we are out of quarantine -- any week now!
- If you can't help financially, it's OK! You can help by sharing my content. Share my blog posts, YouTube videos, and Facebook & Instagram posts, and leave me comments. Sharing helps get my work seen -- and liking and commenting helps boost the content in the search engine algorithms.